Sergeant Mary Orsaio and Officer Caprice VanAuken are the Ithaca Police Department's LGBTQ Liaisons. The purpose of the Ithaca Police Department's LGBTQ Liaison is to strengthen the relationship between the LGBTQ community and the Police Department. By establishing an ongoing dialogue, the Liaison hears directly from community members about concerns, works collaboratively with the community to identify solutions, and educates about recommended safety measures and available resources.
The mission of the Ithaca Police Department's LGBTQ Liaison includes:
- Fostering positive relationships between the LGBTQ community and the Ithaca Police Department by providing a liaison for community members who may be victims of crime, or otherwise in need of services.
- Assist in productive dialogue with patrol, Community Policing, and various investigative units concerning LGBTQ related crimes through diversity and sensitivity training.
- Works in partnership with other City agencies, other law enforcement entities, and community based organizations by conducting community outreach, education, and involvement in other LGBTQ related issues.
- To encourage the respectful exchange of mutual support among LGBTQ and non-LGBTQ Officers in the areas of equal opportunity in recruitment, hiring, retention, discipline, promotion, and benefits.
- To create a safe, secure, and non-hostile work environment in which LGBTQ Officers are supported and mentored through the challenge of "Coming out" in the workplace.