Current City Projects
Albany Street Reconstruction
PROJECT LOCATION: Albany Street from Green Street to Court Street: 100 Block of South Albany Street, 100, 200, 300 Blocks of North Albany Street
PROJECT START DATE: August 13, 2018
PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND GOAL: G. DeVincentis and Son Construction Company shall be reconstructing four blocks of Albany Street. The Contractor shall begin the reconstruction activities along Albany Street on Monday, August 13, 2018. The work includes but is not limited to the following items:
- Installation of new drainage structures and piping.
- Removal of existing stone curbing and replacement with granite curbing.
- Installation of a concrete base for a T-Cat Bus Shelter in front of the Salvation Army Building.
- Removal and installation of ADA compliant pedestrian ramps at intersections.
- Removal and replacement of existing asphalt and sub-base.
T-CAT Bus routes will be changed to accommodate this work. Please check with T-CAT for scheduling and locations during these operations.
There will be substantial traffic impacts as the Contractor will close the blocks being worked on, open to local traffic only when possible.
Detours will be set up for travel around the block being worked on.
There will be No Parking during operations on the block being worked on.
Driveway replacements will impact local residents and building owners as the driveway concrete will require cure time before we can put traffic back on the driveways. This delay should be approximately 7 Days.
Sidewalk closures will occur with pedestrians will be detoured around the work areas.
There may be times when one lane of the road is open, however, please be alert to changing work zone conditions.
Roadway detours will be posted as well as pedestrian detours.
SCHEDULED COMPLETION DATE: Mid-November 2018
For additional information and questions please contact City of Ithaca Department of Public Works, Engineering Division: (607) 274-6530
West Martin Luther King Jr./ State Street Corridor Enhancements
PROJECT LOCATION: West Martin Luther King Jr/State Street (Rt 79), between Floral Avenue (Rt 13A) and Taughannock Blvd.
PROJECT START DATE: Monday, June 25, 2018
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: The project will widen the south sidewalk, install a new traffic signal at the Floral Avenue intersection, install a new signalized mid-block pedestrian crossing and re-aligns the intersections of West Seneca and Brindley Streets along the West MLK, Jr. (West State) Street corridor between Floral Avenue and Taughannock Boulevard. The project includes milling and resurfacing the existing pavement, installation of bike lanes by reducing the number of through travel lanes, curbing, sidewalk, drainage improvements, landscaping enhancements, and new pavement markings.
LOCAL IMPACTS: The sidewalk on the south side of the street will be closed and a pedestrian detour will be signed to use the sidewalk on the north side of the street. Traffic will otherwise be maintained in both directions at all times in at least one lane, though lane shifts and a lane closure are expected. Motorists should expect delays and should use caution in the work zone, with special consideration for and awareness of people walking, biking and working in the area.
All-way stop signs have been posted at the intersection of Rt 79 (W. MLK Jr./State/Hector Streets) and Rt 13A (Floral Avenue). The all-way stop signs will remain in place during construction until the proposed traffic signal is installed and fully functional. Due to manufacturer delays, it is currently expected that the traffic signal poles will be available for installation in late November. The signals would then be installed in the first two weeks of December.
DETOURS IN PLACE: No lane closures required detours. The only detour that will be posted is for pedestrians to use the north side of the street while the south sidewalk is under construction.
SCHEDULED COMPLETION DATE: October 25, 2018, except for traffic signal installation which will likely be completed by December 15, 2018.
PLEASE NOTE: Construction, by nature, is subject to constant change, inclement weather, and unexpected findings.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this project, or for additional information, please contact: Tim Logue, Director of Engineering, Department of Public Works (607) 274-6535.
East State Street Sewer Replacement Project- Stage 5
PROJECT LOCATION: Overall project - Mitchell Street and the Tuning Fork. Final - Stage 5 component of project.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Major sewer main replacement, water and sewer services, road surface reconstruction.
PROJECT GOAL: Finish replacement of sewer service laterals in the westbound lane under the general sanitary sewer interceptor replacement project.
PROJECT START DATE: Stage 5 - Tentatively, begin Water & Sewer service work on October 9, 7:00AM in the westbound lane of East State Street to replace services from Mitchell Street to Schuyler Place. This will be the last of the water & sewer work planned for this project.
PROJECT SCHEDULED COMPLETION DATE: On or around November 9, 2018
LOCAL IMPACTS: Starting on or around October 9, 2018, East State Street will be reduced to a single lane in the immediate vicinity of the work during the day. Flaggers will be positioned as the work moves downhill to direct traffic around service work. Expect minor east and westbound State Street delays. While approximate, the rough schedule will occur as follows.
- October 9 – October 17 – Replace 6 services from Mitchell to Eddy
- October 18 – October 30 – Replace 8 services from Eddy to Stewart
- October 31 – November 9 – Replace 5 services from Stewart to Schuyler Pl.
At the end of each working day (roughly 5:00pm), the City is expected to return operation of State Street back to 2-way and lift any detours on side streets.
- October 9 – November 9: From E. Green Street heading eastbound onto East State Street – Will be controlled with a flagging system around work zone. From East State Street, heading westbound into City – Will be controlled with a flagging system around work zone.
- October 18 – October 20: Southbound Lane of Eddy Street – Will be closed to thru traffic. Eastbound egress from Eddy Street will be through Cook Street. Westbound egress from Eddy Street will be through East Seneca.
- October 22 – October 24: S. Quarry Street - S. Quarry Street will be closed to thru traffic and ingress and egress to S. Quarry will be through Ferris Place. N. Quarry Street – N. Quarry Street will be closed to thru traffic. Eastbound vehicles intending to head south toward East State Street will be directed along Buffalo past N. Quarry to Eddy Street. Westbound traffic intending to head south toward East State Street will be directed along Buffalo past N. Quarry to Aurora Street.
- October 30 – October 31: Ferris Place – Will be closed to thru traffic. Traffic ingress and egress to Ferris will be through S. Quarry Street.
Please note: Detour schedules are tentative and are subject to change based on anticipated progress.
For additional information contact: Erik Whitney, Scott Gibson, Nick Thomas & Don Corwin, DPW, Water & Sewer Division (607) 272-1717.
Spencer Rd Sidewalk and Traffic Improvements 2018
PROJECT LOCATION: 400 block Spencer Road and 800 block South Meadow St.
PROJECT START DATE: Monday, July 23, 2018
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: This project consists of the following:
- Building new sidewalk on the north side of the 400 block of Spencer Road and the west side of South Meadow Street Extension (800 block)
- Dead-ending the 400 block of Spencer Road at its intersection with Stone Quarry Road (meaning all vehicular traffic to/from Stone Quarry Road will have to use the roundabout at Albany Street). A pedestrian/bicycle cut through will be maintained for the length of Spencer Road.
- Installing curbing and related stormwater infrastructure
- Milling and paving the streets
- Rebuilding sidewalk ramps on localized sections and associated curbing.
PROJECT UPDATE: In conjunction with the Spencer Road Sidewalk and Traffic Improvement project, concrete curb and sidewalk work will take place at the following locations beginning October 2, 2018 :
- West side of South Meadow Street Extension from the Quick Fill gas station to Spencer Rd intersection.
- Residential driveway locations for properties 808, 812, 814, 816, 820 and 822 South Meadow Street
- Residential driveway locations for 410 & 414 Spencer Road
- East side of Spencer Road in front of the Stone Quarry Apartments
LOCAL IMPACTS: EZ Paving contractors will be working on placing concrete curbs starting on Tuesday, October 2, 2018. Vehicular access to the driveways and sidewalks at the above-mentioned addresses will not be permitted for 1 week after placement of the concrete. Residents are advised to seek alternate parking outside of their driveways until the work is complete and the concrete is fully cured. If you require alternate roadside parking, please contact Project Manager Eduardo Torres at (607) 274-6422.
LOCAL IMPACTS: Beginning on July 23rd, the City’s Contractor will be performing road work on the stretch of the 400 block Spencer Road (approximately 700 ft. of construction) and 800 block South Meadow St. Extension (approximately 450 ft. of construction). These two blocks will be closed to vehicular through traffic. Access will be maintained for businesses and residences, however, on-street parking will be limited at times.
RECOMMENDED DETOURS: There will be no posted detours. Alternate traffic routes will be maintained through Route 13 and Old Elmira Rd towards the downtown area. Stone Quarry Road will remain open to access South Hill.
SCHEDULED COMPLETION DATE: October 31, 2018
Questions, concerns or accessibility issues should be forwarded to the Engineering Department at 274-6530 or contact Eduardo Torres (Project Manager) at the office phone 274-6422.
To receive regular construction updates please register for Swift911 and be sure to look for the “+ Subscriptions” and add “Construction Updates”.
East State Street Retaining Wall Project
Documents regarding the East State Street Retaining Wall Project can be found here.