Greater Ithaca Activities Center
GIAC on PAUSE
Dear GIAC Caregivers, Participants and Community,
RE: GIAC Announces A Temporary Set-Back For A Strong Comeback.
At GIAC we are proud of our culture of love, family, resiliency, and strong relationships with our staff, participants, families and community. Like many of you, the City of Ithaca and GIAC are currently experiencing great challenges due to the financial impact the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has had on our nation, state and local community. We know these past weeks have been filled with stress, challenges, isolation, and financial difficulties.
However, through these unprecedented times there have been examples of the community supporting one another. From setting up online programming and senior grocery services to mask making, collaborating on a food pantry at GIAC, and staff making phone calls to check on GIAC families, we have provided support.
City of Ithaca and GIAC leadership are looking forward to how our community rebounds after the outbreak subsides and we can return to offering a safe environment for our participants. At this time, no government stimulus funds have been provided for municipalities including the City of Ithaca to recoup lost revenues and costs of the pandemic. The City will experience a budgetary shortfall estimated to be in the millions for this budget year, thus, difficult decisions and changes have had to be made. With the Governor’s Executive Orders to close schools, temporarily reduce workforce, and put New York on pause, coupled with social distancing requirements, we have had to close all physical programs at GIAC. Add to that the projected financial shortfall, and GIAC along with other city departments and community agencies have to endure further difficult changes. These changes will affect our staff, participants, programs and services through the summer months but will position us to come back stronger after the pandemic.
• Most of GIAC’s employees will not be working after May 1 for a few months.
• All GIAC youth and teen programs will continue to be closed at least through August.
• There will be no summer programs, which include Rashad Richardson Basketball League, Summer Camp, Boxing, Conservation Corp, Teen Employment, and the Alex Haley Municipal Pool will not open for the season.
• Current online youth/teen programming will end on May 1.
• GIAC administration will continue to offer the Virtual Family Fun@Home Challenge Activities through postings on GIAC’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ithacagiac.
• The Hospitality Employment Training Program will continue to stay open for now through online outreach.
• Senior Program staff will continue to provide support and basic program/services to our vulnerable seniors.
• GIAC will continue to accept applications for the Robin’s Fund electronically.
• The Food Pantry at GIAC on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 -4 pm will remain available outside of GIAC.
• GIAC will continue to provide business services, 10am-4pm, Monday - Friday via telephone and email with the main office number (607) 272-3622 and via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The GIAC building will continue to be closed to the public.
Once a decision is made regarding the 2020-21 After School Program, GIAC staff will be in touch with families.
Stay strong and be well,
Leslyn McBean-Clairborne, GIAC Director
Travis Brooks, Deputy GIAC Director
Kerry Phillips, Deputy GIAC Director
GIAC Summer Camp
All GIAC is on hold until further notice.
2020 GIAC Summer Camp Registration will be open to the public beginning Monday, April 6. Registration will be daily from 10 AM to 5 PM Families that are in 2019-20 GIAC After School Program may register starting Monday, March 23rd
Families who attended 2019 GIAC Summer Camp may register starting Monday, March 30th
2020 Gus Macker
The Original 3-on-3 Basketball Festival of Family Fun.
This tournament is designed for basketball players who love the fun of the driveway game- male or female, from 7 to 70-plus, short to tall, from the most experienced to those with little or no experience - everyone who just wants to play is welcome.
Registration starts March 1st, 2020! at macker.com
First 30 Teams receive a $20 early bird discount.
Thank you to
Visum Development Group
Ithaca Department of Athletics - NY
United Way of Tompkins County