The City of Ithaca has made parking on the street easier than ever! You will find pay stations located in many city blocks both downtown and in Collegetown. The pay stations accept exact cash (dollar bills and coins), credit and debit cards. You need to know your license plate number when using the pay stations! Simply press any button on the machine to wake it up, and follow the prompts on the screen. If you pay with a credit/debit card, you can enter your cell phone number and receive a text message when time is running out and you can add more time to your parking session straight from your phone. This transaction is subject to a small convenience charge.
If you are not comfortable using the pay stations, there are two other easy options to pay for parking! Pre-paid, parking scratch-off cards are available for sale in the City Chamberlain’s Office in City Hall and most locations where city trash tags are sold. Cards are sold in increments of 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, and 2 hours. Once the cards are purchased, parkers simply have to scratch off the appropriate date and time and then hang the card from the rearview mirror or leave it on the dashboard of your car.
Parkmobile is another easy way to pay for street parking. Just download the app from the Apple or Android app store and follow the steps to create an account – you will need your license plate and credit card information. Every time you park on the street, simply access the Parkmobile app, enter the parking zone (downtown is 2311 and Collegetown is 2312), and you’re done! You’ll receive a text message when time is running out and you can extend your parking session from your phone. Parkmobile parking payments are subject to small convenience charges. Non-smartphone users can call 1-877-727-5730 to use Parkmobile.
The following videos are a fun and educational way to learn more about parking in Ithaca!
On-street Parking Video
Parking in Garages Video
General Parking Video
Parking Garage Regulations & Policies
The following are regulations and policies regarding parking permits for the city-owned garages:
- To purchase a parking permit, personal identification and license plate numbers of the vehicles that will use the permit are required at the time of sale or when a permit is transferred to another person.
- Up to 2 vehicles may be registered for a single permit, however, only 1 vehicle can be parked in a garage at a time.
- Monthly permits are good for 30 days beginning the date of purchase. These permits can be renewed for up to 3 months at a time.
- Permit fees and proximity (permit) cards are nonrefundable, however, you may transfer your permit to another person by visiting the Chamberlain's Office.
- To park in a garage or at a time not covered by your permit, you must take an hourly ticket and pay the hourly rate. (Leave the ticket on the dashboard of your vehicle.)
- Lost or Stolen permit cards must be reported within 48 hours. If you fail to report the lost or stolen card within 48 hours, you will be held liable for any unpaid use of the garage with that permit card.
- Please contact the Chamberlain's Office to protest an hourly charge (within 24 hours), pay a bill or obtain a receipt.
- Long term vehicle storage is not available in city-owned parking garages. You must move your vehicle on a daily basis.
- After 72 hours, you may be billed $25 for each 24-hour period over the limit or your vehicle may be considered abandoned and subject to towing at owner's expense!
- Vehicles not moved within 24 hours during snow emergencies, or after given 24-hour notice, may be towed at owner's expense.
- For more information on long term parking, please go to the Chamberlain's Office.
For fees and other information regarding parking in city-owned parking garages (Dryden Road, Seneca Street and Green Street), please go to the Chamberlain's Office webpage.
Dryden Road Garage
Entrances and exits for the Dryden Road Garage are located at:
- Dryden Road - entrance for all users; cashier exit for all users.
Entrances and exits for the Seneca / Tioga Street Garage are located at:
- Seneca Street side - entrance for all users; exit for permit card holders only.
- Tioga Street side - entrance for all users; cashier exit for all users.
Entrances and exits for the Green Street Garage are located at:
- Green Street side - entrance for all users; cashier exit for all users.
Residential Parking Permits
The Residential Parking Permit System is for the East Hill area of the city near Cornell University in the R1 or R2 zones. To join the system, residents must file a petition with the City Clerk's Office that is signed by at least 51% of the residents of the street block. Read more on the City Clerk's Office webpage.