Marriage Licenses

Congratulations on your impending marriage!

Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License

If you will be married in New York State, you may obtain your marriage license at any town or city clerk offices in New York State.

The City of Ithaca is issuing marriage licenses by appointment only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm and Thursdays between 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. You can schedule an appointment after you upload your identification documents here:
You will need to use Access Code 571186 to enter information into the form.
This will allow us to make sure we have everything we need to issue your license and will make the licensing process much quicker. Please bring the originals of these documents with you to your appointment so that we can verify your identity.

Required Information

  • Both parties must be 18 years old or older
  • Both parties need to be present to obtain the license and each person needs to provide one form of identification from each of the following categories:
  • Proof of age: original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a government agency (NOT a hospital record of birth), baptismal record, naturalization record, or census record.  Photocopies will not be accepted. 
    • Proof of identity: current driver's license, current passport, current employment picture I.D., or immigration record.
  • You will also be asked for your Social Security Number.  You do not need to provide the card if you have memorized the number.
  • If either party has been married before, they must present copies of divorce or annulment papers
  • There is a $40 license fee payable by credit card, check, exact amount of cash, upon the issuance of the license
  • Once a license is issued, there is a 24-hour waiting period before your wedding ceremony can be performed
  • The marriage license will expire after 60 days

Set-up your appointment

You can schedule your appointment here.  Please note that the City Clerk's Office reserves the right to cancel appointments if the appropriate documentation is not provided prior to the scheduled appointment.

Additional Information

If the name you are using is not the same name on your identification, you will need to provide official documentation for each name change (ie: court orders, divorce papers, adoption papers, etc.).  Other forms of identification with the changed name is not sufficient.

If your documents are written in a language other than English, you are required to have them translated into English.  If the translated document is not created by an official agency, the translator must certify that it is a true and accurate translation of the document and have that statement notarized. 

To avoid a delay in processing your marriage license, please reach out to us in advance if you have any questions or concerns.

PLEASE NOTE: These requirements are set by the New York State Department of Health.  The City Clerk's Office acts as an agent to that Department and as such, we are required to follow the regulations they set.

Civil Officiants for Marriage Ceremonies

See the Civil Officiants for Marriage Ceremonies listing (PDF) for people who are authorized to perform civil marriage ceremonies in our area. You should contact them directly to set up an appointment to perform your ceremony.

More information about the marriage license process can be found on the New York State Department of Health website.