Property Sale Information

Properties that are for sale, sold or being sold may require additional attention to process a Certificate of Compliance. You may need; a transferable Certificate of Compliance (60 day letter), carbon monoxide detectors, additional smoke detectors or an electrical survey. Please inform the Building Division staff if your property is for sale, sold or being sold; so we can review the property file and inform you of any additional requirements.

Transferable Certificate of Compliance
A transferable Certificate of Compliance is issued for properties that have successfully completed the inspection process. These certificates can be transferred to the new owner provided that;  the new owner completes the Property Information Form and returns it to the Building Division within 60 days of the issuance of the Certificate of Compliance.

Electrical Survey
An electrical survey is required if your property is for sale, sold or being sold and the property file indicates that an electrical survey has not been conducted in the past 10 years. Additionally, an electrical survey may be required if the Housing Inspector finds evidence of an electrical hazard or improper wiring methods.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors
If your building contains a fuel-fired appliance, solid fuel appliance, fireplace, attached motor vehicle area, is sold or being sold, or has had a new fuel fired appliance installed; a carbon monoxide detector is required to be installed in each dwelling unit and located in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s) on the lowest floor level containing bedrooms. Installations must be according to manufacturer's instructions.

Smoke Detectors
Single or multiple-station smoke alarms shall be installed and maintained in; single family, two family, and multiple dwellings regardless of occupant load, at all of the following locations:
  • On the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms.
  • In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  • In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level, provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.
For more information on preparing for an inspection see the Housing Inspections page.