City Controller's Office
- Audits all payrolls, bills, claims and demands against the city, upon certification by a Department head that the amount is due and unpaid according to the records and information of said Department. Prepares, signs and transmits to the Chamberlain an order directing the Chamberlain to pay compensation due to officers and employees listed on a payroll and the bills, claims or demands listed on each abstract showing the names of claimants, the amounts approved for payment and the funds chargeable therewith.
- Maintains a central payroll system and all social security, pension and insurance records required for city personnel.
- Controls all expenditures within the limits of legal authorization and budget appropriations; and unless the Controller shall certify that there is an unencumbered balance of appropriation and available funds, no appropriation shall be encumbered and no commitment or expenditure shall be made.
- Compiles and prepares the current expense and revenue estimates for the annual budget.
- Compiles and prepares the capital estimates for the annual budget, based upon such capital program as may be adopted by the Common Council.
- The City Controller serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the City. The Controller prescribes and enforces a general accounting system for the city government and each of its offices, departments and agencies.
- The Controller provides for the exercise of budgetary control for each separate appropriation account and establish procedures and practices for the preauditing and control of all city revenues and expenditures; the custody, receipt and disbursements of city moneys through the Chamberlain's Office; the safety and investment of the city's funds; the management of its debts; and the development of policies to safeguard the city's financial interest to the fullest extent.
First Floor, City Hall
108 East Green Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
City Controller: Steven P. Thayer
Deputy Controller: Scott A. Andrew
Accounts Payable Coodinator: Connie Baker
Payroll Coodinator: Chris Norman
Executive Assistant: Donna Redsicker
Phone: (607) 274-6576
Fax: (607) 274-6415
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday