Taxicab Rates & Regulations
The Taxicab Rates & Zones that can be found here were adopted by Common Council on September 6, 2006 and remain in effect.
In addition, Common Council approved a Fuel Cost Recovery Surcharge that may be added to the base charge depending on the current price of gasoline. The fuel surcharge amount is adjusted by the City Controller quarterly as of January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and October 1st of each year. These costs are based on the average, regular conventional retail gasoline price per gallon in New York State, as reported by the U.S. Department of Energy.
This surcharge cannot be collected unless the taxicab driver can produce a copy of a confirmation of current surcharge amount from the Office of the City Controller prior to the collection of the fare.
For the quarter of January 1, 2014 through March 31, 2014, the Fuel Cost Recovery Surcharge is $.80
Additional charges that may be charged by the taxicab driver include the following:
• One child age 5 or under can ride free if accompanied by an adult.
• Passengers age 65 or older receive a discount of $1.15 regular fare.
• Fuel surcharge as confirmed quarterly by the City Controller may be added to base zone charge.
• Late night surcharge of $0.50 per passenger added for trips between 8:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
• $0.50 may be added to fare for each additional passenger of same party and same destination.
• Baggage: No charge for 1 travel bag and 2 suitcases (no larger than 2 feet by 2 feet by 6 inches), per passenger. Fee of $1.00 for each additional or oversized piece of luggage under 25 pounds. Fee of $5.00 for each additional or oversize piece of luggage over 25 pounds. Fee of $2.50 per pair of skis. No charge for up to 5 paper grocery bags or up to 10 plastic grocery bags. Fee of $.25 per bag for each additional bag.
Driver may require pre-payment of all charges.
Group Rides: No taxicab driver shall carry any other than the passenger first employing the taxicab without consent of such passenger.
Tip solicitation: No driver shall solicit tips, gratuities, or any additional charges other than those authorized. Voluntary tipping is permitted.
See Chapter 232, Article VI of the City of Ithaca Municipal Code for the complete regulations. The City Code can be found on the homepage.