Congratulations on your impending marriage!
Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License:
If you will be married in New York State, you may obtain your marriage license at any Town or City Clerk offices in New York State.
The City of Ithaca issues marriage licenses between 8:30 a.m. & 4:00 p.m, Monday through Friday.
Both parties need to be present to obtain a marriage license and each person needs to bring two (2) forms of identification. One form of identification from each of the following categories is required:
(1) Proof of Age: original birth certificate, baptismal record, naturalization record, or census record
(1) Proof of Identity: current Driver's License, current Passport, current Employment picture I.D., or Immigration record.
You will also be asked for your Social Security number but you do not need to bring your Social Security card if you have memorized the number.
- Both parties must be 18 years old or older
- If either party has been married before, they must present copies of their most recent divorce or annulment papers. The dates and locations of all previous divorces must also be known.
- There is a forty dollar ($40) license fee payable upon the issuance of the license. The City of Ithaca Clerk's Office can only accept cash or checks for payment.
- Once a license is issued, there is a twenty-four (24) hour waiting period before your wedding ceremony can be performed.
- The marriage license will expire after sixty days.
Civil Officiants for Marriage Ceremonies: The following people are authorized to perform civil marriage ceremonies. You may contact them to set up an appointment.
More information can be found on the New York State Department of Health website