Credit: Dave Burbank PhotographyCredit: Dave Burbank PhotographyCredit: Dave Burbank PhotographyCredit: Dave Burbank Photography

Commons Use Permits

Home > Departments > City Clerk > Commons Use Permits

Commons Collage

The City Clerk's Office issues permits for a variety of uses on the Ithaca Commons. Please contact the City Clerk's Office at (607) 274-6570 for further details or questions on the following permits:

Pavilion Reservations

Reserve a pavilion, or a space on the Commons by contacting the City Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office maintains a calendar of events and will ensure that the location and time you are requesting is available. Pavilions are available everyday for reservation at no charge. Events may be scheduled between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. If you will be using amplified sound, or are expecting 50 people or more to attend your event, you must apply for a Noise/Assembly permit from the City Clerk's Office. Amplified sound is only allowed on the Commons from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., and after 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekends. There is a $10 fee per location or a $25 fee for the entire Commons for the use electricity.

Driving on the Commons

If you need to drive a vehicle on the Commons for delivery, or moving purposes, you must obtain a permit from the City Clerk's Office. Vehicles are only permitted on the Commons before 9:00 a.m. and after 9:00 p.m. Permission must be obtained from the Mayor's Office for special exceptions. There is no fee for this permit.

Outdoor Dining Permits

If you own a restaurant on the Commons or surrounding area you may apply for an outdoor dining permit. Please contact the City Clerk's Office at (607) 274-6570 for an application, and further information regarding permit requirements.

Mobile Food Vending on the Commons

Permits to operate a mobile vending cart on the Commons can be obtained from the City Clerk's Office. Application requirements include:
• A certificate of liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 naming the City as an additional insured.
• A picture or specifications of the vending cart / table layout.
• A description of the merchandise to be offered for sale and corresponding pricing.
• Proof that the applicant has complied with the established regulations of the Tompkins County Health Department if applicable.
• Proof of a New York State Sales Tax Certificate.
Please contact the City Clerk's Office at (607) 274-6570 regarding fee structures and site availability.

Permits for Dogs on the Commons

If you own a business, or live on the Commons you may obtain a permit to walk your dog to and from your destination on the Commons. Along with your application, the following information is required:
• A valid New York State dog license.
• A current rabies vaccination certificate.
• A copy of your lease agreement or letter of permission from the landlord.
• License fee of $20.00
Permits are valid for one year. Dog owners must abide by all other provisions of the City of Ithaca Dog Ordinance, including leashing and cleaning up after your animal requirements.