Requests to Film on City Property
Requests to Film on City PropertyApplications can be made to the Department of Public Works to obtain permission for film shoots on city property. You can apply for a permit online. Permission will be granted based upon the following requirements:
- Requests must be received at least 2 weeks in advance of the shoot date.
- A certificate of insurance naming the City of Ithaca as co-insured in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 must be submitted. This may be obtained after filing the application; however, applications accompanied by a certificate of insurance may be processed faster. The city reserves the right to change the limits based on the application. Certificates must be either mailed or faxed to the Superintendent's Office. Note: Ithaca College Students must visit the Risk Management Office on campus to obtain the certificate of insurance for each film shoot they wish to perform.
- Letter(s) or permission from adjacent impacted private property owners must be submitted. This may be obtained after filing the application; however, applications accompanied by the letter(s) may be processed faster.
- Provisions must be made to accommodate pedestrian traffic flow if a city sidewalk or public area is to be used.
- Requests for film shoots on city property that include violence or the use of prop/real weapons must accompany a request to film on city property. The Certificate of Insurance provided must state coverage for the violence or use of a prop/real weapon. The city reserves the right to change the limits based on the application and, depending on the scene, may require more then 2 weeks to process the request. All violent scene requests require approval by the Ithaca Police Department.
- If amplified sound will be used, a noise permit will be required. This is obtained online and is submitted to the Mayor's Office for approval.