- City Clerk/Public Information & Technology
- Marriage Licenses
Congratulations on your impending marriage! We know that the time leading up to the "big day" can be stressful, so we've provided information below to help make the marriage license process easy for you to navigate. Please read through the information below carefully in order to avoid delays in processing your license.
Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License
If you will be married in New York State, you may obtain your marriage license at any town or city clerk office in New York State.
This appointment is for a marriage license ONLY
We require that you complete an introductory form and upload copies of your required identification documents here at least 48 hours in advance of your appointment. You will need to use Access Code 571186 to enter information into the form. This allows us to ensure that you have everything needed to issue your license, and will make the licensing process much quicker.
- Both parties must be 18 years old or older
- Both parties need to be present to obtain the license and each person needs to provide two forms of identification:
- Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a government agency (NOT a hospital record of birth), and a photo ID. Pictures will not be accepted.
- Current, government issued, photo ID with the date of birth, and another form of identification as listed below:
- A baptismal record
- A passport
- An automobile driver's license
- Any government or school issued identification card that contains a photograph of the applicant
- An immigration record
- A naturalization record
- A court record or any other document or record issued by a governmental entity, showing the date of birth
- You will also be asked for your Social Security Number. You do not need to provide the card if you have memorized the number.
- If either party has been married before, they must present copies of divorce or annulment papers from the most recent marriage that are signed by the Judge and stamped as filed. Please note information about how all marriages ended is required. Dates of death are required for spouses who are no longer living.
- YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BRING THESE ORIGINAL OR CERTIFIED IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS TO YOUR APPOINTMENT.
There is a $40 license fee that can be paid by credit card, check, or cash in the exact amount.
Once a license is issued, there is a 24-hour waiting period before your wedding ceremony can be performed. The marriage license will expire after 60 days.
Set-up your appointment
Other Important Information
Civil Officiants for Marriage Ceremonies
See the Civil Officiants for Marriage Ceremonies listing (PDF) for people who are authorized to perform civil marriage ceremonies in our area. You should contact them directly to set up an appointment to perform your ceremony.
More information about the marriage license process can be found on the New York State Department of Health website.