Ithaca is home to world-renowned institutions of higher education, great natural beauty, vibrant arts and culture, and unparalleled quality of life. Not surprisingly, our City has emerged as one of the fastest growing communities in Upstate NY and has become a place that businesses, especially technology and creative firms, seek out to locate and grow.
- 20th Best City Nationwide for Entrepreneurs (Livability, 2016)
- #1 America's Smartest Cities (VentureBeat)
- #3 Best Places for Work/Life Balance (Nerdwallet)
- #13 Most Innovative City in the U.S. (USA Today, 24/7 Wall Street, 2018)
- #14 Most Innovative Metro Areas in the US (Verizon, 2019)
- #5 Best Small Places for Businesses and Careers (Forbes, 2019)
- #6 Top Universities with Graduates who Received Venture Capital after Graduation (Pitchbook, 2018)
- #1 Best College Towns (Livability)
Other Awards and Mentions compiled by Visit Ithaca
- Citizens, policy makers, staff and community partners have a shared vision and strategy for City Economic Development where sustainable and inclusive prosperity are hallmarks of the strategy.
- Developers and business owners have a partner in city government for information and support on development and business opportunities within the City.
- Additional outside funds in support of our shared economic development priorities are secured.
- Existing businesses are retained and expanded, especially around priority industries and sectors.
- New businesses that align with our economic development vision are attracted.
- Limited City land is maximized for realizing our economic development vision.
- Initiatives and programs identified as priorities by the City's Economic Development Strategy are developed.
- City policies, programs and activities are coordinated with our Economic Development Strategy.
- The City plays a critical role in local and regional economic development activities in collaboration with public, private, community, and foundation partners.
- The City’s data systems in support of economic development are developed, upgraded, maintained.
- An economic development marketing program promotes Ithaca as a place to invest.